Skip to main content

Wild Roses and Chives


Wild Roses and Chives - now that's a strange combination.  But, it's my fault for not taking care of the problem earler.

This is my herb garden but the only herb in it right now is chives.  I've kept this plant alive for over 10 years now.  Every spring they come back without fail.  The light green you see in the planter is lots of baby chives coming up.  All spring and summer I'll be snipping off the chives for seasoning.  Anything else I plant makes it for a year or so and doesn't come back.  There's a lavender and thyme in there right now that may or may not be dead.  I'll give them a few more weeks to make their appearance.

Every year there are some baby pine trees coming up that I pull out.  They are coming up everywhere and I know that this planter is NOT a good place for them to start.

A few years ago the birds planted a wild rose.  I chose not to pull it up.  Every year it grows bigger.  Due to the soil conditions and frequent waterings it is now the largest wild rose in our yard.  The pink flowers, when they come, are beautiful.

Last spring I was thinking of digging it up and moving it elsewhere.  But it's growing right in the middle of the chives and I don't think the chives would like it in the yard.  Besides, I had dug enough holes last spring.

One year later, the problem is still there, only bigger.  I still don't want to dig a hole for the rose.  I did move some chives to another planter but they aren't as nice as these chives yet.

What to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.