Skip to main content

More Wildflowers of America

Since I have framed the stitched Bleeding Heart from Curtis Boehringer's Wildflowers of America I decided to track down the other 3 wildflowers that had I stiched earlier.  I chose these flowers because they reminded me of the forests of Ohio where I grew up - Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Wake Robin and Bloodroot.

The Jack-in-the-Pulpit and Wake Robin where both finished with fabric frames.  This was a favorite finishing technique of mine for a long time.  On the back they are dated 1999 - that was a while ago. 

I remember the quilt store where I purchased the fabric, but not its name.  It's gone now but it was in an old Victorian house in Old Colorado City.  The turrets where lined with bolts of fabric and hey had a great selection of plaids.


I had never heard name Wake Robin before and it means nothing to me, but the flower is definitely a Trillium.  Back then, I dutifully followed the pattern.  Now I would have used the name Trillium or omitted the letters altogether.

I do miss seeing these two flowers in the spring.  Maybe sometime I'll be in the right place at the right time and see them again.  Until then, I'll enjoy the Colorado wildflowers.

I really liked these two designs and they way they turned out.  The Bloodroot was another story.  As you would expect from its name, the stem and roots of the Bloodroot  are red.  The roots where included in the design.  What looks good in nature and on paper didn't look as good on linen.

The Bloodroot and Bleeding Heart went into the drawer.

I pulled out the Bloodroot a while back while making a crazy quilt and chopped off the root and put it in a block.

After losing the roots the flower was much improved.  The flowers look so happy in the quilt block.  After all, there are many ways to frame a piece.

At the time, I couldn't chop up the Bleeding Heart so it went back into the drawer until 2010.  I'm going to continue making an effort to get those pieces out of the drawer.  I still have a few more living there.

Comments

  1. Erica - years ago I bought four of Chri Boehringer's wildflowers patterns -- some of which you've stitched so well. The DMC codes on the patterns are all in the 2000's (2986, 2906, 2644, etc) which are not in the DMC list for the US. How did you know what colors to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    The designs call for DMC Flower Thread, which is different from the stranded cotton we normally use and I have never seen in stores (although I have seen flower thread from other manufacturers).

    I assumed that the colors are consistent between the different styles of thread and that the "2" just indicates Flower Thread. I used the digits after the "2" to determine the color. So, for 2644 I used 644. 2986 becomes 986, etc.

    I found my charts and on one 2354 is circled and when I looked it up, 354 wasn't a current color. So, I guessed and picked a color that looked good with the rest of the colors.

    Hope that helps.


    Erica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.