Skip to main content

5 Stitch Challenge

The following challenge was posted on the Embroiderers' Guild of America Facebook Page recently.  It came from Philly chapter.

Nametag Challenge: 5 + 5 = 2010 Use 5 fibers and 5 stitches to make a new nametag in 2010.

Isn't this a great challenge?  I'm going to have to do this just for fun.

 Deciding on 5 stitches was relatively easy.  I have 5 letters in my name so I'll use one stitch for each letter.

E = Eylet Stitch
R = Rice Stitch
I = Interlaced Running Stitch
C = Chain Stitch
A = Arrowhead Stitch

Some of the stitches were easy to come up with (eyelet, rice and chain).  I had to search to find stitches which start with "I" and "A".  Algerian Eye would work but it was too similar to an eyelet for me.  The Arrowhead stitch looked like something fun to try.  I'll admit using the Interlaced Running Stitch for the "I" is pushing it, but it was the only "I" stitch I found.  And, I think it will look great.

Finding 5 different fibers that work together was more difficult, but I think I've finally got them nailed down.  I found 2 silks, 2 cottons and one wool and a scrap of dark blue fabric.

Now I know my stitches and my fibers.  Beyond that I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'll be planning it in my head in my spare time.  I have a deadline coming up so I can't jump right in and start stitching immediately.


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.

These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.