Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May, 2015

Columbine Pincushion

I made my first pattern based on a scanned photo with the help of software.  This hardy columbine was burned to the ground, quickly grew back and was flowering within a month.
The first step was to crop the photograph and brighten the colors.  After importing into PC Stitch, I spent hours tweaking the number of stitches and colors trying to come up with a stitchable pattern.   The software couldn't deal with the center of the flower (the yellow part) at all and I had to manually fix it.  Except for the yellow, the colors all came from the software and they are perfect.  Every shade of purple I have was used.
With too few colors it was an unrecognizable blob and with too many colors the pattern was impossible.  I ended up manually reducing the colors until I thought I could handle stitching it.  I was tempted to give up, but I loved how the pattern was turning out so I kept at it.
I think that there are still too many color changes, but the pattern is small so I started stitching …