Skip to main content

Recycled Potholder Loops

Last Christmas I got myself a Potholder Loom and quickly used the loops that came with it.

Instead of buying more loops I found a way of recycling T-shirts into loops.

The potholder in the above picture was made from clearance rack tank tops.  They are nice and stretchy and make great potholders.

My worn T-shirts don't always do as well.  Some don't stretch as well anymore and I have to cut them longer than the tutorial suggests so they don't break.  Some don't roll as well as the new ones and I don't cut them as wide as the tutorial suggests so they are not as bulky.

This one was made with 1 inch strips. 

A few weeks ago I pulled on a pair of socks and noticed a big hole in the heel.  I was about to drop them in the trash and wondered if they would be stretchy enough for my loom.  They are!  At least from the heel up.  Between the heel and toe they are too short.  I cut them in to 5/8 inch stips.  Since the socks were striped it was easy to use the stripes as a cutting guide.

The socks are the blue and I mixed in some T-shirt strips.  This was before I started reducing the width of the strips and you can see how bulky some of the T-Shirt loops are.

Here are the strips for my latest potholder.  The T-shirt on the left has spandex in it and is nice and stretch.  This potholder will have to be decorative.  In the middle, it's not as stretchy so I will have to be careful - the next loops I cut from that T-shirt will be at least 1/2 inch longer.  An on the right is a 1 inch strip from a really old shirt.

Here's what it looks like so far:

I'm having too much fun weaving these potholders.  Sometimes after a hard day it's a good mindless activity.  I like creating something from items I no longer use and should probably throw away.  I like mixing in the different stripes and colors and seeing what happens.  I'm waiting for more socks to get holes.  I'm looking at T-shirts differently.

If I can have fun with cotton scraps, I wonder what I could do with a real loom?


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…