Skip to main content

Mystery Solved


It's a box!

In June 2009 I started working on a mystery sampler from the Rocky Mountain Region of EGA.  It was a lead-up to their 2010 regional seminar and published on the web.  The link works now, but I don't know how long it will work.

I stitched on the sampler every month until June 2010 and then the finishing lagged a little.  I didn't attend the seminar so I had to wait for finishing instructions (which I modified a lot).

This was the best mystery sampler I've done to date.


This isn't all of it but it is most of it.  The section with the motifs was the hardest.  We were given a page of motifs and instructions to do what we wanted.  I don't want to admit how much time I spent re-arranging my most favorite ones trying to get them all to fit.  I also experimented with adding an alphabet which I'm really glad I didn't do since the sampler got turned on it's side.

The finishing suggestion was a box.  I used the best of the instructions received and combined them with some other finishing instructions to make a box.




I get tired of framing everything so it was nice to try something different. 

The finishing lagged because I was avoiding the work and afraid it wouldn't turn out.  But I made myself finish it and it did turn out.  The front of the box is the floral tiles band which was my favorite part of the design.  It is fully lined with a green leaf print fabric and has a batik lid and bottom.  The hinges are simple stitches and I made a tassel for a handle.

I won't be making everything into a box like this, but I'll probably use this technique every once in a while.

Comments

  1. I think your work is gorgeous!! What a fantastic idea for it to be made into a box. I think a crazy quilted one would be awesome. I love your samplers!!!


    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Crazy Quilts would make a great box. And, it would be easier to construct.

    Maybe someday ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to ask is the pattern for the box exclusive for the EGA members or do they sell the pattern also?

    Again yours turned out so beautifully!!!


    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, it took a while for me to locate the box pattern.

    Sorry, it is labelled "Printed with permission from ... Please do not copy this pattern"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.