Skip to main content

M's Quilt


It's only 22 x 29 inches but its done!

Nothing like hanging a quilt on the clothesline to cause the wind to start gusting.  Luckily it calmed down and I got a better picture.



Small quilts are for experimenting.  The squares are flannel and came from a charm pack that's been sitting around for a while.  I lost the label so I don't know who made them.  The rest of the fabric is quilters cotton.  I've never tried mixing the two before.

The rectangles are all Bliss by Bonnie and Camille for Moda and came pre-cut to 2 1/2 by 5 inches.  I have one flannel square left over and I used all of the Bliss.  There are 2 small pink squares I had to add.  I also had to find a binding fabric that looked good with the rest of the fabric.

I had no problems blending flannel and cotton in one quilt.  The flannel feels luxuriously soft compared to the other fabrics.  I also like the combination of the darker flannels and the pastel prints.

The other experimenting I did was on the quilting.  I've heard of using a printed backing fabric as a quilt guide so that's what I did.  It worked, but it was weird.  I had to baste it upside down and put the main thread in the bobbin.  I'm not sure I like quilting that way.  But I like the results from the back.


The pattern wasn't even so I had to add stippling and there wasn't much room to stipple - I kept getting caught in dead ends.  I also had to be really careful because if I got a thread tangle on the back, it's really the front and had to be carefully pulled out. 

The thread I picked for the front didn't show up to well, especially in the flannel.  It just sunk into the thread.  But the quilting does show in a few places.  Here's one:


I would have never have come up with a quilting pattern like that if it wasn't printed on the back.  I have one more little quilt to quilt.  I think that one will be all stippling.  After that I have a BIG one to quilt

I hope M will like this quilt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.