Skip to main content

Watching for Spring

I'm ready for spring to come so I got out some springlike overdyed floss and played around.  I ended up stitching a woven grid.  I started putting an eyelet stitch in one of the open squares but I didn't like the way it looked.  Maybe I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Here in Colorado we don't really get spring.  We have three seasons: dust, ice and mud.  Right now we are midway between ice and mud (with some of each).  We could plunge back into ice for a while or go straight to mud.  One thing is certain.  It's almost time for pasque flowers.  They are the first flower of spring to bloom in the area. 

Somewhere I have a diary noting when they've started blooming since we moved.  I can't find it.  I think mid-March is the earliest that I've seen them bloom.

We've had warm weather - in the 40's and 50's - and the ground is getting spongy in areas so I think it's getting close.  However, it may need to get a bit warmer.

  Pasque flowers are hard to find when they just come up but I've been scouting the likely places ...

There was a big clump of them around here last year.

But last year the very first one was next to this fence. 

It looks brown and bleak doesn't it?  I can't wait for the cycle of seasons to start again.  I'm ready for warmer days, greener grasses and blooming flowers.

I'd like to catch some pasque flowers before they bloom but I probably won't spot one until it flowers.


  1. Haven't been in for a while and had to catch up. You are so creative. So how did you cut those paper snowflakes? those would look good a non ravelling fabric (felt?) and appliqued on something. I am into snowflakes now because I am doing 4 seasons for my EGA original pattern, and winter is going to be snowflakes. I tried to be a follower but I have none of those accounts. Keep up the good work I am behind you 100% see you sat. Pat


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…