Skip to main content

90 Blocks Completed

I started piecing these blocks in August 2009 and I finally finished the last one last weekend.

The task for today was to get them arranged.  Right now, the quilt is bigger than the largest piece of floor that I have.  The last two rows are squeezed together outside of the photograph up against and under a couch.  Once they are sewn together and the seam allowances aren't there anymore they should fit on the floor. 

Luckily they came out in a good order, because there isn't enough room to swap around blocks.

I've labelled them using Glad Press 'n Seal.

That method works very well for me, as long as I keep the iron away from the label.  I've learned to place them away from the seam and where I'll be ironing.  My favorite block - I ate!

Now the floor is clean and the blocks are stacked and ready to piece into rows with A1 on top.  (Hmm, I've got a food thing going here)

Tomorrow I drop my sewing machine off for its slightly overdue annual cleaning.  Then it will be ready for the task of piecing and quilting the quilt.  Given previous quilts, those tasks might take me another six or so months.

I've got to start thinking up a good name for this pattern.  So far the best I've come up with is Charm Hourglass Nine-Patch which isn't very catchy.  Any ideas?


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.

These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.