Skip to main content

Snowflake Flowers

My friend Pat just went through a few months worth of this blog and asked me "How do you make those snowflakes?"

For me, they are easy, so I thought that I'd demonstrate.  Since, spring is coming, I thought I'd use brightly colored origami paper and try to make the snowflakes look more like flowers.

First, you start with a square of paper and fold it in half and then in half again.  Pay attention to where the center of the paper is and then fold diagonally going through the center corner.

At this point I pick up the paper being sure to hold it at the center.  If you start at the wrong corner you won't end up with a snowflake - just pieces of paper.

The two sides radiating from this corner will become the spines of the snowflake.  You need to cut a random pattern into the third side (a very fancy V) making sure you don't cut the two sides coming from the center.

Now, you may cut off a piece of the center and pieces along the two sides.  These will become the holes in the snowflake.  If you are not careful you could lop off a section of the snowflake and ruin it.

Then you start to unfold to see what you've got ...

Then Pat said "those would look good a non ravelling fabric (felt?) and appliqued on something".

That got me thinking.  This is Hawaiian Quilting.  I was in Hawaii more than a few years ago and bought a kit to make an appliqued pillow.  Once I got home and the excitement wore off I wondered why I had done that.  I had made a quilt with some hand applique (and tried almost every method out there, except needleturn) and didn't really enjoy the process.  Now I had a project with not just applique, but needleturn applique.  I have seen it demonstated plenty of times courtesty of "Simply Quilts" and quilt shows.  Since I didn't want the kit to sit there in a drawer forever and couldn't see any other alternatives I jumped in and started to needleturn.  It really wasn't that bad and I finished it. 

That is, I finished the applique.  The pattern is called Breadfruit.  I haven't quilted it turned it into a pillow yet.  You can see how the design was created the same way that the snowflakes were.  I imagine it would be a challenge to cut out of fabric, but I didn't have to do that.  It came pre-cut. 

I think I'll stick with paper snowflakes for now.  But, I really do need to finish the pillow sometime...


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…