This is my latest design available a few days ago on http://www.patternsonline.com/.
This design started out on graph paper. I was playing around with border vines and it was a cold day so I was thinking of cool colors - blues and greens. The blues and greens where too cold so I added a contrasting red which became the "berry" part of the design.
Once I had the vine designed I decided to turn the vine into a border. I had to figure out here to turn the corner and it turned out to be easier than I thought by adding the flower. The border came out about 3 inches square.
Next, I had to figure out how to fill in the center. Adding a big flower was a logical choice, but I couldn't come up with one that fit so I just added the center square which left the middle to fill in and I wasn't sure what to do next until I thought of blackwork. I'm usually not patient enough for blackwork but it is a small area and there are alot of colors. It balances the heavier stitching on the edges and in the middle and the finished piece reminds me of a ceramic tile.
I think I'm going to be designing similar tiles in all sorts of color schemes.