Skip to main content

Prospectors 1999 - Wildflowers

It's time to start my first design as part of the Prospector's challenge.

The first decision is what to design.  I've always liked wildflowers, especially those from the the Rocky Mountains.  When I was growing up we'd trek from Ohio to Colorado and Wyoming.  For entertainment I was given a flower identification book.  I would research in the car and then look for some of the exotic flowers when we arrived at our campsite.  So, flowers would be my subject.  And band samplers, which consist of bands of patterns, where popular so that was my format.

That's the easy part.  So, I set out with graph paper to come up with the flowers for the bands.  The Columbine that I stitched years ago was bigger than life.  Each flower was maybe 20 x 20 or 30 x 30 squares.  That's alot of detail to make up one flower.

I was making smaller flowers, some remembered from those early trips - harebell, fireweed and indian paintbrush.  Other flowers where chosen for the colors or were flowers I discovered later on.  With less detail each flower had to be simplified.  But, if they are too simple the flower isn't recognizable.  With a lot of work I finally had some bands. 

But no matter how I arranged them they didn't look right.  I added words.  I added mountains.  Things where looking better.  I stitched my first attempt.  It still didn't look right.  Back to the drawing board.

I changed the scale of the flowers.  Some where bigger and closer up.  Others where off in the distance.  More shuffling of graph paper rows and I finally had just the right balance of scale, color, flowers and words. 

It was a lot of work but I was proud of my efforts.  It was displayed at the Prosepector's exhibit in Colorado Springs in 1999.  It was also exhibited at Margaret Parshall Gallery at the EGA Headquarters in Loiusville, KY from August 1 - October 31, 2000 as part of an exhibit of work from the Rocky Mountain Region.

Here's on of the first sketches that wasn't quite right:

And here's the final sketch:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.



The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…