Skip to main content

Diverted by a Trip to the Salvation Army

I was shopping in an area of town I'm not in that often and discovered a Salvation Army store that wasn't there the last time I drove by.  Naturally, I had to stop and see what I could scrounge up.

I hit the jackpot in the frame section.  I often stop here because you can find great frames really cheap.  A lot of times they are of higher quality than newer frames, but you have to dig and be prepared to discard the framed item inside.  I bought 11 frames sized 5 x 7 and smaller.  One came with needlepoint and the another with crewel.   The remaining 9 where empty.   At 50 cents each I couldn't pass up the discarded needlework.

Even though the colors are somewhat dated and the work may be sloppy in parts they are works of beauty that somebody at sometime put effort into and I had to rescue them. 

The finishing is rather crude on both of them.  Sometimes I do my own hack job of framing but never like this.  The needlepoint is nicely laced but then it was duct taped into position.

The crewel was not laced.  It was both scotch and masking taped into position and then nailed in place.  So much for museum quality framing.  (Yes, the tag says a dollar, but there was a 50% off sale going on)

It makes me wonder about the future of my stitching.  I have no children to pass my handwork to.  I give my handcrafted items away to friends and family.  Many others I keep for myself.  But, I'm a realist.  Many of my items may suffer the same fate.  You can only hang so much on your walls, styles change, you want something new ...

So, next time you are out bargain hunting I hope you can find a discarded treasure and take it home.

To the 2 anonymous stitchers I offer you temporary imortality (now that's an oxymoron) by posting your work on the Internet so others may enjoy.


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…