Skip to main content

A Tale of Three Finishes


I managed to finish 3 projects by working in the evenings over the last week.  I got to each finish in a slightly different way.

First, I framed my Pine Tree and Acorns sampler.  Every day of my holiday break I stared at the unfinished sampler and wished it was finished.  However, I had no inspirations on how to finish it.  Wall-hanging, no.   Pillow, not really.  Nothing else.  Finally, I thought that if I had a frame I could be done.  I've never had any luck finding square frames.  I ended up going to Nordic Needle and ordering one.  The problem was color.  Black didn't look right.  Neither did green.  Neither did barn red.  I figured I'd have to paint over whichever frame I got (I've done that before) so I picked red because I figured it would cover the easiest.  The frame arrived a few days ago and guess what?  It's more brown then red and the perfect color!  So last night I laced again and again and I think I finally have it centered and straight.  Yay!  Finish number #1.

Next is a woven wall-hanging which is a UFO from a retreat in early October.


It's not my usual project but it was interesting.  At first, I had other items to finish so it just hung around.  It could easily have sat forever but I was determined to not leave anything unfinished.  So, I finished the weaving.  I had the leftover copper wire and wanted to practice making spirals so that was the next step.  A few more weeks passed as I got up the nerve to make the attempt (by the way, I signed up for a basic wire class in a few weekends).  Finally, it was embellished but I didn't know how to hang it.  I was originally thinking doing something with the wire but I used it all.  So, it sat while I waited for inspiration.  Not came.  Finally, I decided to just be done and made a crochet chain out out of leftover yarn and attached it with beads.


Now it's hanging on the wall and I'm happy to say it's Finish #2.

The final finish was very easy.  It was obvious from the beginning on how it would finish - a bias binding of the striped fabric.  The only question was did I have enough of the fabric.  I did.  So, I made the binding and sewed it on. 



The last few evenings were spend hand sewing it to the back.  Yes, it's the hexagons from last weeks ago.  They are now a hexagonal table topper and Finish #3.



What's next?  I have lots of stuff started including a small hardanger that I had to get while I was shopping at Nordic Needle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.



The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…