Skip to main content

Quilting Randomly


I finally finished basting my big quilt.

Now I'll have to quilt it.  I haven't free-motion quilted anything in a long time so I'm going to do a few warm up projects first.  And practice on paper.

I dug this cupcake out of my fabric drawer.  It was from the June 2009 quilt shop hop.  It's is only 8 inches square.  Layering the backing, batting and top and basting took under 5 minutes.  I wish they could all be done that quickly.

First, I outlined the cupcake.  I am really out of shape for free-motion quilting - the thread broke a few times and the stitch size is way too small.

Then I moved on to the stippling.  I started getting more comfortable and the stitch size improved.  My hands remembered how to move the fabric to stipple and my brain engaged.

I've been blogging about stitching and knitting randomly and it clicked that stippling is quilting randomly.  I do the same random things.  If you start repeating the same pattern the stipple doesn't look right - it has to be random.

This isn't random - it's the same thing over and over again.  But, I like it and use it in small borders.

Here's an early attempt at stippling.

It's not right.  Whenever you find yourself getting into a pattern you have to veer off into another direction or turn and inside loop into an outside loop.



This is getting closer to random.  However, I kept working myself into a corner and had to restart. 

A little more practice on 2 wall hanging size quilts and by then I should be back in shape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …