Skip to main content

Fusing Plastic

I'm behind. 

I've had a self-imposed deadline of the end of summer for many projects and they are not done.  So, I've been trying harder.  The result - finished pieces?

No, the result is sore wrists so I stopped stitching last week and won't be stitching again for a few more days.

So, I've had to find other ways to amuse myself.  I'm machine quilting and I tried fusing plastic bags.  There are many tutorials in books and on the web and I have no shortage of plastic bags so I thought I'd try.



At first the iron was too hot and the result had holes and was distorted and bumpy.  Still, I like the result.



  Ghostly echos of familiar logos show through the fused plastic.



As I adjusted the iron temperature each attempt made better and better "fabric".



I'm thinking of making bags.  Or book covers.


This one was a gigantic clear pillow-case bag with some cut up bread bags inside. 

Interesting results and some interesting "fabric" to play with.

Hopefully I'll be back to stitching soon.

Comments

  1. Very interesting. I have never heard of this before. What will you do with the "fabric"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the idea from the book "Fabricate" by Susan Wasinger". She makes a shopping tote bag.

    I'll probably make a smaller bag or a zippered project pouch. It takes alot of the fabric to make the tote in the book and I'll be saving interesting bags.

    If you go to Google Images and type in "fused plastic bags" you can see all types of things that different people have made.

    When I've got something made I'll post pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …