Skip to main content

Yikes! More Yarn!

Now that I've started knitting again I'm receiving donations of yarn.  This yarn came with no information about fiber content or guage but there is a small pattern book so I know it is Marnel "Tweedy".  And from the pictures in the book I know it was printed in the 80's.  But, that's about it.  Internet searches provided no help.

I cut off a snippet and waved it over a lit match.  It melted and made a horrible stink so it is all or part synthetic.  In some was it acts like wool so I suspect it might include some.

I've been knitting potholders and I'm ready to try something else so I've been looking for patterns.  The yarn calls for a delicate, lacey pattern.

Every time I'm in the library I check out the new book shelves:  fiction, cooking, self-help, crafts or anything else that catches my eye.  Lately there are tons of knitting books.  This time I picked up Yarn Bombing by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain.  It is about the knit and crochet graffiti movement.   I love the book and the projects but I don't know about the graffiti part.

One pattern did catch my eye - the Chevron.  I made a test swatch and found that it's a pattern I can manage.  In the spirit of Yarn Bombing I tagged a desk lamp.  I know, it's not that radical.  I'll probably have to work up to something more public.

My next task was to try the pattern with the Tweedy.

I love it!  The yarn looks great in that pattern and I think it will make a warm, lightweight and good looking scarf.

I'm still knitting when should purl and vice versa so the stripes are a bit random.  I don't think anyone will notice at all.


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …