Skip to main content

Lazy Holiday Stitching

Last weekend was beautiful and I was able to spend time in the shade stitching.  I worked on this simple little bookmark - the stitching equivalent of a good beach novel.

It wasn't quite as simple as it appears as the front is the same as the back.  I'm not going to use the "r" word to keep people from looking for that to find this post.

It took some work to figure out the technique.  But then I was able to zoom through it.  After the first heart, I didn't even need to consult the pattern.

If you look at the border it's not 100% the same on the back.  The Nun's stitch looks good from both sides, but it's not the same.

On the second bookmark I have shown the hearts in different stages of completion.  The hearts are stitched in two passes.  The top heart has the first half of the first pass completed.  The second heart has the first pass completed.  The next heart has some of the second pass done and the final heart is complete.

The reason I'm making two bookmarks is that the scrap of aida cloth was just big enough for two.  It was left over from another project and last fall, when I was kool-aid dyeing some wool, I tossed it in see if it would change color.  The experts are correct.  Kool-aid does not dye cotton as well as it does wool.  The wool turned a bright red and cotton turned a faded pink.

I'll have to finish up the second bookmark and then I'll be able to move on to some more serious summer projects.  Hopefully the shade will still be out there on the patio waiting for me.


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …