Skip to main content

UFO Finished - Ann Clair's Pinks


I have a new finished sampler.  I purchased the kit many years ago at a White Elephant Sale.

Someone had started stitching it and then gave up.  I discovered some of the flowers were in the wrong spot but didn't worry about it.  My goal was to get it stitched and I did.  Then I just let it sit in a drawer for years.  I wasn't sure what to do with it.  Then I came across a frame that it fit into so it can finally be enjoyed. 

I would never have picked this frame from a selection of frames.  It seems to be too close to the linen color.  But since I had it anyway I used it.  Now that it is hanging on the wall, I really like the way it fits in the frame and can't imagine another frame.

The pattern came from Ellen Nell - Needlework Desgin Source and is called Ann Clair's Pinks Element Sampler.  It was adapted from a Sampler by Ann Clair Tinges dated 1798.  According to the documentation Ann was 8 years old when she stitched her sampler.  In the real sampler, the flowers form a vine border around a saying and a house.  Across the top is giant eagle with wings spread. 

I will say that taking the flowers from the vine and arranging them in a squarish pattern was a great way to adapt an old design for modern stitching.  I am always looking at the way other designers put designs together and this was a clever solution.

As it turns out I will be at another White Elephant Sale tomorrow so the patten and instructions will be donated so someone else can enjoy the pattern.  However, they will need to get their own linen and floss.

Meanwhile, I've been doing very well at completely finishing everything I've started recently.  But I still have an ongoing goal of getting the many projects I've finished stitching complete finished.  Hopefully I'll have more to show at some time.

Comments

  1. Just came across your blog whilst blog-hopping. What a pretty little piece of stitching, it is good to finish off something you have had for a while, I am trying to do the same with some of my work this year. kind regards, Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …