Skip to main content

Coneflower Biscornu

It seems like I've been working on this for months and it is finally done!

This biscornu was a complete accident.  I was trying to design something else and the end result looked more like a coneflower than what I was trying to design, especially when I changed the color to bright pink.

I love coneflowers and you can probably tell that based on the picture which is currently at the top of this blog.  Every year I scatter more seed and a few more coneflowers grow in my garden.

As often happens, in this design I combine my love of flowers with my love of quilts.

I've just finished going through my copy of "1000 Great Quilt Blocks" and didn't see this one.  If I pieced it, it would be a Log Cabin or a Cornerstone variation.  Like Log Cabin, the blocks can be arranged in many different patterns (and I had fun experimenting).

One side of the biscornu has the quilt blocks in the center and the coneflowers on the outside.  On the flip side, the coneflowers are in the center and the quilt blocks create a frame.

Pink and green are great complements to each other.  I took the colors directly from the coneflowers.  For an accent color I added a wild yellow-green.  It isn't quite the color of the coneflower centers but it goes great with the other two colors.  I do appologize for having a few stitches of the yellow here and there.  I don't like stitching such small bits but I really like the way it looked so ease of stitching was sacrificed for looks.

This is the second biscornu that I have finished.  This one went so much smoother than the first one.  First, I used antique white material and secondly I knew what I was doing this time.  This biscornu has 3 inch stitched squares so it was significantly smaller than the first one.  I'm not sure I'd make one of the really tiny ones, but this one was no problem.

I didn't think I'd find a good bead or button for the center but I was wrong.  This is a Raspberry Gelato Tints 3/8" button from JHB International, Inc.  I put all that information into the pattern, but then that information gets stripped out when it gets published to the web.  Grrrr.  Supposedly that will be fixed soon.

This pattern is available for purchase at

It's a beautiful day and when I checked yesterday the coneflowers leaves are beginning to poke out of the ground.  It's time to start cleaning the garden and stop sitting at the computer.  Soon it will look like the garden in the picture again.


  1. How lovely this turned out!! Lots of work there but you got done, should be proud of yourself!!

  2. This is really pretty. Very nice work.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …