Skip to main content

Winterberry Finishing - Fused Fabric Frame

Finishing - it is always a challenge!

Sure, putting something in a frame is easy, but it can get expensive.  So, I'm always looking for new ideas.  Winterberry is small, about 3 x 3 inches and for something that size I usually make a box top.  But, I don't have any suitable boxes right now.  I've been playing with fusibles and interfacings so I thought I'd try to make a fabric frame.



I started out with a simple cardboard frame that fits around the design.  I made another piece the same size for the back and one 1/4 of an inch smaller for the inside.




The next step was to find the perfect fabric and fuse it to the front of the cardboard.  Then I had to carefully miter, cut and fuse it to the back.

The result is a fused frame that fits over the design perfectly.



The mentally hard part was to cut out the design and fuse it to the inside cardboard.  Once it's cut I can't go back and frame it traditionally.   I cut a square of fusible web and cut out the indside so that just the outside 1/2 inch of the stitching is fused down - the fused area is completely under the frame.  I have a piece of quilt batting under the stitching itself and fused the whole thing to the middle cardboard.

Finally, all that was left was to make a sandwich of the frame back, stitched piece and frame top.  I whip stitched the front and back together with matching thread.

The resulting frame is very stiff and the finished piece can lean on a shelf.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …