Skip to main content

Red Flowers



Red Flowers was an experiment.  I started by making various flower shapes on graph paper.  Then I put them in the computer so I could "play" with them.  The first thing I noticed while copying, pasting and moving flowers was that the shape of one of the flowers formed a pattern when it was repeated next to itself.  So, I made a background of just that flower shape in a size to fit in a 4 x 6 frame (I had an empty frame to fill - why not make the stitching fit the frame instead of the other way around).

Then I filled in the background with random flower shapes.  If you look at the upper right flower, you will see that it recedes into the background because it is sitting directly on the background.  All the others pop out at you.  I added some stems to connect the flowers and I was done designing.

There was nothing fancy about stitching the pattern.  I used a remnant of Aida cloth and DMC floss.  I was afraid that the background would be tedious to stitch, but it wasn't.  I worked my way around the flowers and stems that were stitched first.  The flowers are different enough that I didn't get confused on where I was on the chart.  It went much faster than I imagined.

As I stitched, I had more ideas on what to do with the flowers and my next design was born.  More on that design later. 

This design is available on http://www.patternsonline.com/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …