Skip to main content

The Next Lone Star



I am continuing to practice lone stars.

This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.

Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.

As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!

I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center that I think I can hide with careful quilting.  If I had trouble sewing on triangles, imagine the potential trouble with setting in.


Overall I'm pleased with the progress I've been making.  Each Lone Star is better than the one before.  This the first one worthy of finishing and will make a cute wall hanging.

Next, I'm going back to the first tutorial and try it again.  If I'm successful I'll attempt the real lone star.  I was going to get the strips cut out over the week so I could jump in this weekend.  It didn't happen and this weekend is busy.  So, it may need to wait a bit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Pioneer Sampler Redo

I first did this quilt in the late 90's.  It was my first quilt with a shape besides a square.
At the time "Quilt in a Day" was on PBS early on Saturday mornings.  I was amazed at how simple the complicated blocks were to piece and it gave me confidence to try a more complicated quilt.  As, I remember, the show was of star blocks.  I found that book at the quilt store but I liked the Pioneer Sampler better.
My first pioneer sampler was made with 30's style fabric I purchased on sale.  I liked the fabric when I saw it and was afraid if I didn't get it I would never be able to find any again.  I'm happy to report that 15+ years later you can still get 30's fabric - so much for it being a fad.  The quilt lived on the couch and was used when watching TV on cold nights.  I don't even have a picture of it any more.
I still use the techniques from the book for piecing half square triangles and flying geese.  The calendar pages in the books were filled with …