Skip to main content

Block 31 - Another Star


Here's the next block.  The quilt has been filled with 9 and 10 inch blocks so far.  This is the first and only 11 inch block.  It will not have sashing and therefore has to be accurate.  That's why I did the other Le Moyne stars first.

I've searched and haven't found this block documented.  I probably haven't looked at the right sources.  I found a Blazing Star which is a Le Moyne with the star points made up of 4 patch diamonds.
And the Liberty Star is a Le Moyne Star with the star points made up of 3 strips like a Rail Fence.

The center of this block is a Le Moyne but the star is extended.  I pieced it just like I did the other stars, but I had to piece the diamonds first.  The proportions are different but otherwise it is the same.

My first one went to plan.  The second one did not.  With this block it's hard to tell until the very end and I got the results I was expecting when I did the first one.  The center sticks up like a mountain and the size is way off.  I may be able to cut the center out and applique a circle over it and use it for something else.

Obviously I did not respect the bias.  I think it started going wrong when I pieced the diamonds for the points together and they got a little stretched out of shape.  When I noticed that some of the seams were a little off, I should have stopped and measured and looked for the problem.  But, I kept going and things were a little more off at the next step.

For the third star I had to pick different fabrics since I'm beginning to run low on fabrics.  I was extra careful and went slowly.  I also strip pieced the star points before cutting into diamonds which eliminated one error point.  I was so careful I even got the pencil stripes going in the same direction.



I'm glad to have these 2 blocks done.  I'm taking a quick break and doing some simple piecing before I tackle the next blocks.  I'm not sure which ones to do first.  I keep changing my mind.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Pioneer Sampler Redo

I first did this quilt in the late 90's.  It was my first quilt with a shape besides a square.
At the time "Quilt in a Day" was on PBS early on Saturday mornings.  I was amazed at how simple the complicated blocks were to piece and it gave me confidence to try a more complicated quilt.  As, I remember, the show was of star blocks.  I found that book at the quilt store but I liked the Pioneer Sampler better.
My first pioneer sampler was made with 30's style fabric I purchased on sale.  I liked the fabric when I saw it and was afraid if I didn't get it I would never be able to find any again.  I'm happy to report that 15+ years later you can still get 30's fabric - so much for it being a fad.  The quilt lived on the couch and was used when watching TV on cold nights.  I don't even have a picture of it any more.
I still use the techniques from the book for piecing half square triangles and flying geese.  The calendar pages in the books were filled with …