Skip to main content

Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square





The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.

The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.

For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.

There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.




The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I actually cut triangles for the corners in this block,  Each corner is half a square and I had to be careful to get the stripes all going the same way (and with the hourglasses above).  Again, there are many tutorials to be found for making this block.

The center square is 6 7/8 and the corner squares are made from are 5 3/8 squares cut diagonally.


Here's my modern version.  I love the colors and circles.


Comments

  1. I love the hourglass blocks, in particular -- your piecing is beautifully precise!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been working hard to improve my piecing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Pioneer Sampler Redo

I first did this quilt in the late 90's.  It was my first quilt with a shape besides a square.
At the time "Quilt in a Day" was on PBS early on Saturday mornings.  I was amazed at how simple the complicated blocks were to piece and it gave me confidence to try a more complicated quilt.  As, I remember, the show was of star blocks.  I found that book at the quilt store but I liked the Pioneer Sampler better.
My first pioneer sampler was made with 30's style fabric I purchased on sale.  I liked the fabric when I saw it and was afraid if I didn't get it I would never be able to find any again.  I'm happy to report that 15+ years later you can still get 30's fabric - so much for it being a fad.  The quilt lived on the couch and was used when watching TV on cold nights.  I don't even have a picture of it any more.
I still use the techniques from the book for piecing half square triangles and flying geese.  The calendar pages in the books were filled with …