Skip to main content

Pioneer Sampler Redo


I first did this quilt in the late 90's.  It was my first quilt with a shape besides a square.

At the time "Quilt in a Day" was on PBS early on Saturday mornings.  I was amazed at how simple the complicated blocks were to piece and it gave me confidence to try a more complicated quilt.  As, I remember, the show was of star blocks.  I found that book at the quilt store but I liked the Pioneer Sampler better.

My first pioneer sampler was made with 30's style fabric I purchased on sale.  I liked the fabric when I saw it and was afraid if I didn't get it I would never be able to find any again.  I'm happy to report that 15+ years later you can still get 30's fabric - so much for it being a fad.  The quilt lived on the couch and was used when watching TV on cold nights.  I don't even have a picture of it any more.

I still use the techniques from the book for piecing half square triangles and flying geese.  The calendar pages in the books were filled with notes on adapting to different sizes and other tips I'd picked up over the years.  So, it was the first quilt book I looked to replace and it's the only quilt that I made that I want to remake.  The book already has notes on the calendar pages.

The quilt is made from fabric gifts from friends and fabric purchased with gift certificates for my local quilts store.



Some of the background fabric is a printed sampler.  I had some fat quarters of it before the fire and was still able to find some of it again afterwards.  Then I picked the green leaves/pink-orangish flowered fabric and added fabrics from there.

I always get sale/clearance fabric for the background fabric - usually something pale and bland.



Look what I found - it's not bland at all - apple blossoms on an orange background.  I have a few strips of that fabric left to use in other quilts which is great because its too pretty of a fabric for a background.

This quilt took over a year and a half because I didn't have much time to work on it.  I really wanted to do a better job of quilting it, but you need more room than I have to free motion quilt.  I tried and it didn't work well. Straight line quilting had to suffice.

Now that this quilt is done I can move on to new quilts - smaller quilts for a while.  I need more space before I can tackle a bigger quilt.  But when I do, I'm tempted to make a Modern Pioneer - interpreting these blocks in a more modern style.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's about time - the big reveal

My bright quilt was finished in June but I wanted to wait until both were done before sharing the pictures.  Quilting the blue quilt didn't take long but finishing the binding sure did.  I did procrastinate a bit as it was too warm to have a huge quilt on my lap for most of the summer.  After this, I'll probably do all the binding on my sewing machine (and stick to smaller quilts). Notice the cut-out corners?  That was a challenge.  I found instructions here and it looked easy enough but I wished I had practiced some.  After a lot of finessing I finally got good miters but I could have done much better. The cut-out corners allow the quilt to hang nicely over the edges of the mattress and it's a perfect match for a full sized mattress.  But, the top edge isn't even close to the pillows.  I wonder how the quilt fit on the bed it was made for. Here, at last, is the original quilt that I was copying.   I just noticed - all of the baskets are

The last 2 blocks and the tops are done!

I needed 2 more blocks to finish the gray version of the quilt.  I ended up making simple 9 patch/half square triangle blocks.  One is the yellow block in the lower left. Here it is closer up.  When I made the half square triangles I had the red fabric going the wrong way so you are seeing the backside of the fabric.  So the red in the triangles is a little lighter than the red in the center.  It wasn't worth redoing. The other corner has a blue block and I managed to get the front of all the fabrics showing. So, here's what it looks like almost complete. And here's the blue version of the quilt. I've got the backing and the batting for the gray quilt (the backing is in the washer now) and I'm working on the thread to use for quilting and how to quilt it. They are too big for me to free-motion quilt.  I don't have the space.  As it is, quilting with the walking foot will be a challenge.  These tops deserve so

Basted

A few weeks ago I was at the Local Quilt store basting my bright sampler. It's been ready to go for a while.  I've been working on a baby quilt and it's now done.  It's been a while since I've quilted so I'm glad I had a quilt to warm up on. Next I need to pull a folding table out of the garage and re-arrange my quilting space.  This quilt will have a lot more drag than the baby quilt. I've also been looking at pictures of similar quilts looking for quilting pattern inspiration.  I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and u se wavy lines like this quilt . I should start quilting next weekend!