Skip to main content

Pincushion Finishing - Part 1

When I finished my second pincushion I tested the directions I wrote up for the first one.  They were horrible!  So, the second time around I documented my progress.  It's such fun testing my own patterns.

The pincushion started out flat, stitched with a square plus sign shape.  It could also be rectangular, as long as the corners are an equal number of threads.

First is the creasing - both along the edges of the top of the box and at the bottom.  As you can see in the top photo, I also creased the corners.

Now, trim the linen to about an inch to inch and a half past the stitching.  Then, turn the pincushion face up and fold diagonally across the upper left corner.

With thread that matches the linen, go through the corner on the front and the back and come up two holes to the right on both sides.  The basting stitches are very important here but can be removed as you go.

Keep going along over two and under two (running stitch).  I had to check the front and back with each stitch to make sure both sides were aligned.  When you get to the far right, turn around and stitch back. 

(The picture I took here didn't turn out)

Once you get back to the start, tie a knot and end your thread.  You can now pop the corner around to make sure everything lined up.

Pop the corner back around and repeat for the next 3 corners.

Now, you can trim the excess linen from the corners.  I left just under a half inch.

Now, turn the pincushion right side out.

For the next step, you need to measure the top of the pincushion and cut squares of quilt batting slightly smaller than the top.

To be continued tomorrow ...


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …