Skip to main content

The Next Step

I have stitched Colorado following the chart as close as possible.  There are 62 counties plus Denver in gold and I'm 98 days into the project.  It seems like I've been working on it forever but that's about .6 counties per day and some of those counties took a long time.

So far it's been a paint by number project.  Not any more.  Now I'm going to start thinking outside the box.  I like the original design for the rest of the project, an all over pattern in ecru and "Colorado".  It's a good design, but I want to make the finished project my own (in other ways than the mistakes I've made so far).

My plan:  Outline the state in a dark brown or gray and add outlines for the surrounding states.  I'll use the charted all over pattern, or a different one to color in the other states.  Each state will be a slightly different muted color. 

I wasn't going to add any words.  Someone argued that others wouldn't know what it was without Colorado.  I'm not worried about that.  But, if I add words, it will never be hung upside down.  I'm leaning towards "Colorful Colorado".  I've googled the old sign and the font on it isn't remarkable.  I'll have to figure out a good style of letters to use.

I have some more thinking to do before I pick up the needle again.  But, it's going to get easier from here.  The hard part is done.


  1. Wow! Looking great :) Your plans for some special adjustments sound really interesting, and I can't wait to see them stitched!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…