Skip to main content

Shopping Bags

Tomorrow I go Quilt Shop Hopping!  To get ready I've made myself some shopping bags. 

The first its a rather large tote bag with a pocket on the inside for maps and lots of room for anything I might find while shopping.

The flowers are silk flowers that have been fused down to fabric and embellished.  A technique I first saw years ago and it took me this long to try it.

I went a little wild with beads and they really catch the light.  The bag is fully reversible, but with the beading on the outside, I don't think it will get reversed too often.

This is the 3rd or 4th pattern that I 've tried from Lexie Barnes "Sew What! Bags" and like all the others it went together quickly and easily.

Next I made a little bag from the book "Little Birds".

As I went through the book I found a lot of patterns that I'd like to do someday.  This was a pattern that I wanted to do NOW.  I don't do that very often, but I put everything aside and made the bag using scraps I had.  I even had the 7 inch zipper in a drawer (and that was the only size zipper I had).

I definitely want to make more bags like this.  My first one is a little lopsided and I think I'll be able to make the next one look more professional.  The designer is Monika Wintermantel.

This pattern is great and I have so many ideas for embellishing other bags.  I can't wait to make more.  But first, I have to go shopping!


  1. Happy shopping Erica! I love both your bags; the flowered tote is so pretty, and the little bird is so whimsical and cute :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…