Skip to main content

Quilt Washing


Enough multitasking.  I worked on the quilt binding until it was all done.

Next step is to toss the quilt into the washer.  To me, a quilt is not a quilt until it has been washed - the fabric wrinkles around the quilting resulting in that "old quilt" texture that I love to touch.


No matter how many quilts I wash it is always a stressful occasion.  I still expect it to come out in multiple pieces with the quilting undone and the colors all run together.  However, that hasn't happened yet.

I stated out hand washing them in the bathtub.  I did that once and it's too much work.  The washing machine is much simpler.  I use the gentle cycle and a very mild liquid detergent.



This is what happens if you try to take a picture without a flash.

Next it is moved to the dryer on low for about 20 minutes to get most of the moisture out.  Then it goes onto the clothes line or over the ironing board in bad weather.



Here is the finished quilt.  It is "Threads of Tradition" and is the cover quilt of "Vintage Gathering" by Kaye England.  Besides changing fabric and colors the only thing I did differently from the original is to add the border all around instead of it being just on the sides.

I really like the book.  Until now it was one of my fantasy books.  One that I looked at and fantasized about making the quilts.  Each time I look at the book a different quilt appeals to me.  Then I had some fat quarters that I thought would go good in this quilt and I stared making it.

I really like this quilt.  The piecing was not difficult and it went together rather quickly (for me).  The finishing took longer.  I'm tempted to make this again and again with different colors and fabric styles.

But I already have my next quilt planned and it's different.  I'll be using 30's fabrics.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.