Skip to main content

Old Floss


Here is a started project I purchased at a White Elephant Sale.  There's not much to look at right now.
But, the stitched area will be about 2 by 3 inches and contain a flower arrangement.

The instructions are not dated.  The paper is yellowed.  Nothing appears to have been computer generated.  The newest book in the bibliography was published in 1976 so the pattern must be newer than that date.

The big clue to age comes from some of the floss in the kit.


The first and third skeins are from my collection the rest are from the kit.  Notice the top and bottom edge of the labels - they are black not gold.  The lettering is also bigger.  But, the differences are subtle.



Not so much the bottom half - the new labels are much longer.  Instead of just the basic information, there is now a bar code, web address and the universal care symbols.  100% cotton appears in many languages (at least I assume it translates to 100% cotton).

The big difference is that the labels changed from paper to plastic at some point.  The first skein has a plastic label (note the reflections) while the third is still paper.

All my life plastic has slowly replacing paper for packaging.  Each time that happens I am saddened.

Back to the kit.  I am ready to start stitching flowers but I'm trying to wait until I get a few other pieces finished first.  It's difficult, the flowers all calling ...

Comments

  1. Sounds like it'll be a lovely project when you get it finished! I know what you mean about the paper and the plastic. I have some older skeins myself, and you can really see the difference. I think that the paper lasted up until the mid-1990s, and then the bar codes came on the scene.

    It makes a difference in how they're rung in at the cash too; before, you just told them the number of skeins you had, and now they have to scan each individually for the unique colour numbers. I know it helps with inventory, but it can take a while when you're buying a fair bit at a time. It's funny to think that while the threads will eventually degrade the little plastic labels will outlast them in the dump somewhere, isn't it?

    Spring always calls out for flowers to me :) Best of luck with your new-to-you project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

Interesting Scraps and Tea

Here are some scraps from 2 different fabric projects I have going on.  They almost made it into the trash but they looked so good together.  I think they are going to be turned into a potholder.
They need a tan background and I don't have any tan fabric.  White didn't work.  My lights were all too yellow or too blue.  I haven't made it to the fabric store.
So, yesterday I made a batch of strong tea and dyed some muslin.  It's the perfect background color.


These scraps are from a different project.  An unfortunate math error resulted in blocks being an inch too big and I had to trim.  These scraps are also to interesting to toss.
I'm thinking of a modern looking potholder or smaller wall hanging, depending on how they sew up.
These don't look as good on the dyed muslin.  But, white may work.
Stay tuned to see if I actually turn them into something.