Skip to main content

Finally Basting

After a big delay I've finally started basting my big quilt.  Since I machine quilt I always pin baste.  Everyone assumes that I hand quilt.  But since I enjoy different types of embroidery I save my hands for that and quilt on the machine.

 I've been going to the local quilt store and using their tables to baste but my wrists, shoulders and back are not looking forward to an all-day session.  I'd rather do it a little at a time over weeks instead of hours.


I dug the table out of storage and set up in an out of the way area.  In the first week I have 3 rows basted and another 7 left to go.  Doing it a little at a time sure beats doing it all at once even if its going to take longer.

This is the final smoothing out of the quilt.  As it was pieced, the fabric was continually being ironed flat.  Now, I'm going to great lengths to get all 3 layers, backing, batting and quilt top, as smooth as possible.  Once this basting is complete and it is taken off the table it will never be this smooth again, but I would like it to lay flat without any puckers.
I'll be bunching it up to get it under the sewing machine and wrestling it into position.  Once it is fully quilted it will go into the washing machine.  A quilt isn't a quilt until its been washed.

However, that's a long way off.  I traditionally wait a month or so after a quilt is basted to start quilting.  Part of it is mental.  It's a big task and I have to start when I'm ready.  I'm really not looking forward to it, but to make a quilt you have to quilt it.  Also, it's hard quilting in the summer when it's hot.  Most of the quilt ends up bunched in my lap and it gets uncomfortable.

So, as part of my stalling process I've made 2 mini quilt tops.  I will quilt them first, as practice.  Then I'll quilt the big one.  The tops were made using some half charm squares (5 inch squares cut to 2 1/2 x 5) that I got during the recent quilt shop hop.  Here's the first one:

And here's the second one.

These two mini quilts will be the motivation to get me through basting the big one.  I'll write more about them when they are finished.  I shouldn't have any more quilt related posts until then.


Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.

This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:

Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.


Blocks 2 and 3 - Hourglass and Square in a Square

The next two easy blocks in my quilt are Hourglass and Square in a Square.  Both finish out to be 9 inches.  They are good starter blocks for working with triangles.  As the quilt progresses and the blocks get more complicated there will be many more triangles.
The Hourglass is also known as a Quarter Square Triangle Block or QST.  It is easier to make 2 blocks than it is to make 1 so that's what I did.  The picture is of 4 blocks, not one block made up of 4 units but it is fun to combine multiple hourglasses in one block.
For both colorways I used a directional print and it's easy to see where the quarter squares are in the block.  Since you want the edges on the straight of grain making one would waste fabric and by making 2 blocks at once, you can deal with piecing squares together instead of triangles.
There are plenty of QST tutorials to be found.  I started with 10 1/2 inch squares to yield the 9 inch blocks.

The square in a square can also be pieced using squares but I…