Skip to main content

Halloween Circle



Up until now I've been writing about my designs chronologically.  I'm going out of sequence now because this is a good time for a Halloween design.

This was based upon my "Circle of Seasons" which I'll write about soon.  It has a snowflake in the center, then spring green leaves, flowers and along the outside fall leaves.  As I was working on it, my mind wandered on to other possible circles, the Halloween Circle being one of them.  I changed the outer fall leaves and decided to fill the center with Halloweeny designs.  The bats and the pumpking came quickly.  I even tried a bigger pumpkin in the center.  But I abandoned that when I came up with the spider idea.  4 small spiders are way too many spiders for me.  So the pumpkins became smaller and went in the inner circle.  I love the pattern the vine makes as they curl around.

The spider was a challenge.  All my initial sketches either looked dorky or too cutesy for this design.  There's nothing wrong with a cutesly spider, but I didn't want one here.  (That sounds like a challenge to me - maybe I'll have to come up with a good cutesly spider now)  I design best from observation but I draw the line at going into the yard and looking for good spider specimens (If I still lived in Arizona it would be easy).  So, I did the next best thing and went to the library for an insect and spider identification guide.  The spider is still totally made up.  But I used the (really creepy) spider pictures in the guide to gauge body and leg length and proportions.  I think the plan worked rather well because if I catch that spider in the corner of my eye I have to repress the urge to smack it.  (Absolutley no spiders where harmed during the design and stitching of this pattern)

I've designed many versions of a "Chrismtas Circle" and a "Winter Circle" but haven't hit upon the magic combination where it "works" yet.  Stay tuned, I'll have more circles eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC's of Cross Stitch Alphabets

Alphabets are quite popular on cross stitch samplers and there are many decisions to be made when choosing an alphabet.  Upper case or lower case is one decision.  It seems that upper case is most popular.  Using lower case causes all sorts of compications.  Extra space is needed for j, k, l, p and the other letters that extend above or below the main line. 

Another important decision is even or odd.  The alphabet above is odd.  That is, it is and odd number of stitches high, in this case 7.  Notice the B and D.  Both are symmetryical.



This is an even alphabet that is 6 stitches high.  Notice that the B and D are no longer symmetrical.  I prefer odd alphabets.  I've been known to change the size of a sampler to mak an even alphabet into an odd alphabet.

Both of these samplers are in a traditional font.  But it is easy to re-arrange the stitches to create different looks for you alphabet.  Here is an elegant alphabet that is only 7 stitches high:



Each letter takes up more space and gi…

Do Overs

Starting over means re-doing some of my projects.  A lot of the projects that I've done I don't want to do over.  Some turned out not to be the worth effort and others were not fun at all.  There's also a feeling of "been there, done that".    I've also discovered that I enjoy the act of creating more than the results sometimes.
My first do over was this penstemon I designed a while ago.  It's small and simple and only 2 colors.  I'll eventually be restitching many of my own designs.  Luckily, I still have the charts even if I no longer have the item or pictures of the item.
My second do over is actually actually stitching something for the third time!

After the second stitching, I'd had enough.  But, I was given the 2010 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue with the pattern and that was a sign that the reindeer needed to be stitched again.  Hopefully, that's it.
My last do over represents all the EGA seminars that I attended over the years.

This…

The Next Lone Star

I am continuing to practice lone stars.
This time I tried a different tutorial.  Each one I find is slightly different so I get to try different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Since I've gotten better with points and the quarter inch seam allowance and need to work on keeping the diamonds from stretching I picked this tutorial.  It has fewer, bigger diamonds so it should go faster.  It also doesn't have the set in squares and triangles so it will be easier to finish if I choose to do so.
As soon as I started cutting the diagonals I realized I forgot the starch.  I just jumped right in and missed the main point of the block.  So, I decided to continue and focus on being as careful with the fabric as I could.  Guess what, my diamonds didn't stretch out this time!
I got some stretching when I sewed on the triangles, however the block still turned out OK.  A couple of points are slightly off but most of them are right on. There is a slight hump in the center …